Friday, July 4, 2008

Fun with Bumper Stickers

Bumper stickers can advertise affiliations, they can show support for your favorite athletic team, they can be funny, they can be thought provoking, and they can be offensive. But bumper stickers are merely soundbites, and they express ones thoughts publicly without having to open a dialogue. Because of this bumper stickers do not fully convey the meaning behind a religious, political, or social issue that the sticker raises and they do not encourage learning from opposing viewpoints. It lends itself to misrepresentation of the issue and the person behind the wheel (unless the driver is living in black & white). Given these facts, I feel free to take the bait. You put the sticker there. I'll comment. And unlike bumper stickers, blogs encourage participation and open dialogue. Feel free to rant.

I took a walk through town the other day and snapped a few photos of some of the more interesting stickers. Enjoy!


Humorous. Though we may not agree on gun control, I am disarmed by the humorous analogy, even if it is mean spirited. I'm guessing this person didn't think much of Rosie before he slapped this on his bumper.


Huh... This is just confrontational. I'm getting an image in my head of Yosemite Sam waving his guns around and he's Rooten Tooten Mad! Note to self... when you get a second, relieve this man from his weapons due to a lack of a sense of humor. Oh... and that reminds me, give the kids a good beat down when you get home.


You see this bumper sticker a lot around Western Montana. Usually it is accompanied with the sticker “Save 100 Elk, Kill a Wolf.” It expresses the man’s fear and sense of inadequacy at not being the dominant predator in the mountains. Freud might say it expresses inadequacies in other areas too. Get the facts straight. No one is reintroducing grizzlies to Montana because... guess what? They are already here. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!




Uhh....errr... O.K., you're right. A point for this person. Everyone should take this to heart, especially the guys above.






Right on, man! This is phrased in the same manner as the popular Christian slogan “What Would Jesus Do?” written on plastic bracelets, bumper stickers, and T-shirts. Someone made a lot of money off that. Interesting question, who would Jesus bomb? Hmm...




Ha-ha! So funny and so true. I like this person's sense of humor. I wish I could get this on a T-shirt to wear to my next church league softball game.



No, no... this is the one I want on my T-shirt. I can just see some of the facial expressions on some of the mothers. Jesus must have had a sense of humor. Lighten up!
My apologies, the sticker above didn't come off a car. It was too funny not to include, though.





I'm sure this person means what is implied by the symbol. It is just ironic that it was placed on the back of an SUV over the tailpipe. It's a bit of a contradiction to say you support peace when you're driving a vehicle that gets less than 15 miles to the gallon at a time when we are in a war that is being fought over keeping America's oil pipeline open in the Middle East. This is a sign of the times.




Nuff said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I laughed at these:

Don't believe everything you think.

A lesson all of us would do well to remember!

Jesus was my copilot..."

When you get the T-Shirts made, let me know! I wear a large.

Francis H. Woods said...

Let's see... 1 T for me, 1 for my wife, and 1 for Mr. Mason. O.k., that's three. Any one else?

Unknown said...

Do they still let you play/attend church league baseball games?